By Ken Askew
Four bids for refuse collection were announced at the monthly New Eagle Council meeting. Prices ranged from $268K to $304K total for the 3-year period of the contract. The low bidder was Nickolich Sanitation, at $95/year per customer for 2011, $95 for 2012, and $99 in 2013. Starting in December 2010, instead of a postcard format, the bill will be on a sheet of paper and mailed in an envelope.
In other borough business:
• Council decided to submit another application this year for gaming revenue sharing; it will be for the same storm sewer project they proposed last year.
• The Employee Directives document has been approved by the Borough Public Works Department employee’s union, which clears the new rules for implementation.
• In preparation for winter, Council has (1) installed new tires on the Borough’s backhoe and front-end loader, (2) ordered road salt (delivery is imminent), and (3) purchased new holiday decorations—3’ diameter LED snowflakes, to be mounted on utility poles.
• Leaf pickup will be available on Mondays and Fridays through November 19. Leaves must be in bags, and limbs must be placed separately at the curb.
• Stone paving will be done on Spruce Alley and the alley between 7th Avenue and Center Avenue.
• The new Borough Maintenance Ordinance is now in effect; hopefully, it will result in better-maintained sidewalks, driveways, and streets.
• In short order, last month’s meeting minutes were approved and bills were paid. No one spoke up at the public forum and the parties scheduled for a public hearing did not show up, so the meeting was adjourned.
Last Updated on Monday, 01 November 2010 11:36