By Kyra Bergman
On January 29, 2013, the brick façade of Monessen’s 535 Donner Ave. began collapsing into the street. The 500 block of Donner Ave. will be closed until clean-up is completed. MMVTA’s Commuter A route to Pittsburgh and Valley 1 routes are being detoured and riders should expect some delays.
At the February 20, 2013 Monessen City Council meeting, Councilman William Manus thanked the streets department, fire department, and EMS for all the hard work they’ve done regarding the collapse.
Mr. Manus also reported that the city is still working on the electrical defect affecting the stoplights in Parente and Veterans Way. The problems have been on going for two months but they are still trying to resolve the issues. It may take until the weather breaks in the spring and some digging is done to pinpoint the problem and fix it.
During the monthly meeting, a motion was approved by Jonathan Baker, an Eagle Scout candidate from Boy Scout Troop 1543 or Belle Vernon, regarding his proposed project to refurbish the tank in Monessen City Park.
Motions were also approved for the following:
• Monessen Tobacco Free Coalition to use the City Park for its Walk in the Park on June 15, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The Gate of Heaven Church to use the 9th Street Park on August 10 and 11, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for their annual basketball tournament and food festival with rain dates August 17 and 18.
• The Union Baptist Church to use City Park on Saturday, June 22 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. for a family day.
• A handicap parking sign at 1013 Dunlap St. by Angelo Loulis.
• Ronald Smith to be hired as a crossing guard pending state clearances.
Last Updated on Friday, 01 March 2013 22:34